I’ve written about this before in my article What Men should NOT to do on a First or Second Date, but I decided I needed a shorthand version – a cheat sheet if you will. Also ladies, consider this shorthand for extremely negative behavior. If some guy is doing several of the things on this list…RUN!!!!! I’m making this specific to online dating because I think it’s a fairly unique way to meet people, and fraught with peril. If you totally want to sabotage a date early, here are a few sure-fire ways to do it:
Say any one or more of the following phrases:
- My bitch, crazy, psycho, ex-wife or ex-girlfriend – I get it, you had a bad breakup. This is not the time for a festival of bitching.
- I’m still in love with my ex-wife or ex-girlfriend – This has happened to me more than once…no joke.
- I have to pay way too much child support – Well maybe you think you do, but would you rather have your kids live in a box on the street?
- How many guys have you slept with? – Are you kidding me?
The following will make you look like a liar, even if that wasn’t your intention.
- I lied about my age on my dating profile
- Oh by the way, I have a girlfriend – This information should have been on your profile
- Oh by the way, I have kids – This information should have been on your profile
- Oh by the way, I’m married – This happens more than you would think…and of course…this should have been on your profile
How to look rude
- Make frequent text messages
- Receive phone calls or make calls
- Constantly check your phone in front of your date
- Never ask your date any questions about herself, just give her a non-stop biography
- Take your date to an expensive restaurant and then ask her to split the bill – If you are on a budget do coffee or drinks
- Insult your date – You would be surprised how often this happens
- Discuss politics or religion – Unless of course you know 100% it’s OK to go there, it’s not exactly romantic
- Show up late or cancel at the last-minute – things happen but if some catastrophe occurs, contact your date immediately and BEG for forgiveness.
How to freak out your date
- Assume it’s time to start making out, when your date has given you no indication that it’s cool do go there
- Drink to the point that you’re a drunken sloppy mess
- Assume your date does drugs, and then tell her it’s a deal breaker if she doesn’t
- Force your date into a social situation with a ton of people she doesn’t know
- Have an emotional breakdown and then treat your date like a therapist
- Focus the conversation on sex, and ask intimate sexual questions right off the bat – The only exception to this is if you both agreed ahead of time it’s a casual sex type of encounter, or you met your date on a hook-up site.
- Get angry when it’s obvious your date doesn’t want to have sex with you – Even if you met her on a hook-up site or with the expectation that you would have sex. You might have freaked her out, she might have changed her mind. No always means no, so chill out and let it go.
- Send your date a dick pic – Although I love making fun of these in my act, dick pics are rude, goofy, and way too forward. Your date could cancel completely, scream at you or threaten to call the police. The only exception is if your date has asked to see your business…otherwise DO NOT DO THIS!
My personal #1 Pet Peeves
- I’ve always thought I was funny, I bet I could do stand-up. Could you help me get started in comedy? – If you want to get started in comedy then go to an open mic or take an improv or stand-up class…and never ask me that question again. 🙂
- Get competitive with me about comedy. Insist your are funnier or try to one-up me with jokes – Unless you really are a comedian…please just stop…no really just stop
- Never laugh once during the date
- Demand I tell you jokes, or want to see my act, right there out of context, while on a date – I basically hate you now.
- Proclaim that you can’t stand cats – When then say that I know 100% that it isn’t going to work out.
- How To Hack Online Dating (thoughtcatalog.com)
- The real problem with online dating (scholarsandrogues.com)
- Dating Online: Confessions of an Accidental Cougar (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: Nice Guys of OKCupid – Why It’s Horrible (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: The Coward (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: The Body Experiment (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: Why You Get Ignored (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: What’s in a Name? (julietjeskeblog.com)