The day I turned 40, something completely surprised me on my online dating profile. I thought that once I reached my midlife milestone birthday, the amount of email would slow down. I was surprised when I saw more traffic than ever. The bulk of interest came from much younger men. Suddenly 19 and 20-year-olds were sending me things like,
“What’s up? U R Hot. Do U like younger guys?” – Always hysterical to me, since the young ones often use text speech and insane word substitutions that drive me crazy.
“I really love older women. We should hang out sometime. Let’s get a drink” – I’ve gotten these from men who aren’t old enough to legally drink alcohol. So either he’s got a fake ID, or we’re drinking coffee. I guess I could take the risk of being arrested for giving alcohol to a minor, that would be living life on the edge! Maybe they are asking me out BECAUSE I can buy them liquor. Who knows?
“I know you’re a lot older, but I’m really looking for a serious relationship” – I’m not kidding, I’ve gotten several emails like that one. Are they serious? I have no idea. Do they have Mommy issues? Probably.
“I’m going to start college in the Fall. I love to go snowboarding, and play video games. Let’s hang out!” – I assumed he lived with his parents and was still in high school. So technically he’s legal, but honestly who in their right mind would think that’s a good idea? Someone must have written a self-help book that advises young men to search for women 40 or older on dating sites. After 40 we’re more desperate, we’ll pounce on a young eager kid. When I’ve complained about this deluge of barely legal would be suitors, some of my male friends get extremely upset with me. I hear things like,
- Well I would dream of getting hot 19 year olds in my inbox
- Score! You have teenagers hitting on you. I’d tap that!
- How could you complain about young guys?
Again I know this might sound shocking to some, but men and women are extremely different creatures. Most women in their 40’s don’t want to date men over 20 years younger. Of course there are exceptions and age and maturity don’t always go together. If two people can find love in this world and they have a twenty year age difference, then more power to them! But usually most of those 19 year olds I get in my inbox aren’t exactly “hot young studs”. The really good-looking younger men, probably have a surplus of attractive, hot young women. And I’m not talking about a 30-year-old with a 45-year-old. At that point both parties are adults, and although the age difference is great, it’s not the same as a 19-year-old man hitting up a woman who could be his mother. Even though a 19-year-old is legally an adult, most are basically children. I have theories about why I keep getting these requests, the younger men think an older woman could:
Teach them about Sex – Some women might get off on this, or think this could be a lot of fun. Personally I don’t want to train anyone. The thought of having awkward or bad sex with someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing is not exactly my idea of a good time.
Take care of them Financially – Some don’t even hide this, and will say it openly. My favorite was from a 29-year-old. He somehow just assumed I would was rolling in it because I was a whopping 11 years older than him. If only being 40 magically brought financially stability. In his case we discovered he was better off than I was.
Take care of them Emotionally – Mommy issues. Some guys really do feel more comfortable dating someone who takes on a more maternal role in their lives. To each his own on this one, but not every woman is going to WANT that arrangement.
Need to be Dominated – This is true of men at any age, but the power dynamic does get a bit skewed with a large age gap. An older woman is probably going to have more life experience and more relationships under her belt.
Drawbacks to younger men
- Aren’t financially secure
- MIght live at home or with multiple roommates
- Have totally different interests and lifestyles
- He might not get along with your friends, you might not get along with his
- Probably won’t want kids right away
- Less likely to stick around long-term
- Text speak, totally different communication skills – The younger ones don’t call, they text, tweet, IM and Skype. It’s a whole new world of abbreviated speech that can be a bit unnerving to women who write in full sentences.
- Porn educated – Sorry boys but this one is so true. I’ve found with men closer to my age that sex is far less influenced by pornography. Younger men don’t seem to understand that porn is a FANTASY and that most people don’t try to reenact porn scenes every time they have sex.
- Lack of sexual experience
Of course age is just a number and emotional maturity and numerical age do not always go together. I’ve met plenty of immature men in their 50’s and 60’s. Some May December romances work out beautifully and there are no hard rules to what makes a relationship work. I have several female friends who are older than their partners. The older two partners get the less an age difference matters. A 30-year-old with a 45-year-old is something else entirely than a 19-year-old with a 34-year-old. Once a person is well into adulthood, they know who they are, what they want and have a reasonable level of maturity. A kid who is 19 or 20 however is just trying to figure these things out, they could be so easily manipulated and crushed by an older partner of any gender. I wish my male friend’s fantasies were true, and the hot young 21-year-old men were lining up in my inbox, but that’s just not the case. Regardless, I want a partner who is an equal, and it’s difficult to see a kid in college as a peer. So until then, much to the disappointment of my male counterparts, I’ll continue to turn down the young ones who hit me up. I would rather not be the cougar who devours willing cubs.
- Confessions of an Accidental Cougar – (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating After Divorce – Why is it so Difficult in your Late Thirties (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online – The Coward (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online – Guy from Out of Town I’m not an unpaid Prostitute (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online – The Liars (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online – The Snob (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online – No I’m not going to meet you for Breakfast (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating After Divorce – Bad Boys and Psycho Bitches
My website www.julietjeske.com Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/JulietJeske Add me on Facebook Juliet Jeske Facebook Fan Page I don’t have a tip jar on this blog because I think they’re tacky. If you want to support julietjeskeblog.com please watch the following short video. A portion of the ad revenue goes to help me with the costs associated with running the blog. I have no control over the content of the advertising. Thanks so much for reading.