I written about this topic before, but after a long hiatus from online dating, I’ve decided to revisit it. It seems like men’s photos are getting worse, not better. As I’ve said on the blog multiple times, If I was going to give men any advice on how to create a successful online dating profile it would be this.
Have a trusted female friend look over your profile before you publish it.
I could type that 100 times for emphasis, but I’ll restrain myself. Don’t use your mom, or your sister, use a trusted female friend. You want to use a woman who doesn’t see you as a a nonsexual being, so your relatives are out of the question.
Here are my top 10 tips for picking the right photo for your online dating profile.
1. Don’t look like a serial killer – What does a serial killer look like? It’s hard to say really. It could be the outdated serial killer glasses, or the slicked down side part. We just know it when we see it. Show your friends, and simply ask – Do I look like a serial killer in any of these shots? If the answer is yes, then don’t post them.
2. Don’t look like a pretentious douche bag – What does that mean? It depends on the person. Are you standing in front of your flashy Porsche or McMansion in your photos? Are contemplating the universe with the caption to match? Are you holding a pipe while wearing a bow tie made out of pipe cleaners? Looking like a prick is relative to the woman who is viewing your visage. If you use terms like “visage” in your photo captions, you might look like a pretentious douche bag.
3. Don’t use several group photos – Some guys have nothing but group shots. Don’t make a woman search through several photos playing – Where’s Waldo?
4. Don’t cut your head off – I’m going to assume you’re married or hideous. Don’t give me bullshit about having an important job. I once had a date inside the United Nations, it wasn’t the greatest match but his job wasn’t exactly mundane.
5. Don’t use professionally shot modeling or acting photos – They look a bit forced. You can use one or two but don’t have a slew of them.
6. Don’t limit yourself to one photo – Use at least three. The more you show the more likely someone will respond. If your only photo is of yourself from a far distance, no potential date is going to have any idea what you look like. Use a body shot, a crop of your face and one that’s from the waist up. If you have more than three that’s great but three should be a good start.
7. Don’t use a landscape photo as your main profile picture – Again, I will assume you’re hiding something or married. SHOW YOUR FACE!
8. Please don’t post a dick pic – I said please. I’m begging you not to do it, unless of course it’s a hook-up site or a woman asks specifically to see your junk. An unsolicited dick pic is bad enough, a dick pic as your profile photo is the absolute worst.
9. Don’t post a photo of yourself with an ex – Or really even a sister, a friend or any woman other than maybe your mom. It’s confusing, and distracting. I’m going to be trying to figure out who the woman is, rather than just focusing on you. And for the love of all that’s holy, don’t use a photo of yourself next to your ex, with her face blacked out.
10. Limit or eliminate bathroom selfies – You’ve got a smoking hot bod. You want to show it off. Well come up with a more creative way than a self-portrait taken with your cell phone in the bathroom. You could snap one of you working out, or on the beach. I’ve probably seen 10,000 bathroom selfies at this point. Just don’t do it.
BE HONEST – One of my favorite all time profiles was of a beautiful black man in his late thirties. Half of his photos were in typical attire of oxfords, ties, jeans and slacks. Every other photo was of the same man in full women’s drag complete with wig, makeup, lashes, and padding. He openly admitted he was a cross dresser but was straight and interested in women. I APPLAUD this man for making such a bold move. Sure it might turn off a lot of women, but the perfect woman for him wouldn’t mind at all. There were no secrets and I admired his courage for putting it all out there.
If you follow this basic advice I promise you’ll get more emails on your profile!!! And again, when in doubt have a female friend give it the once over before you publish it! You’d be surprised how much having a woman’s perspective could help you out.
- Dating After Divorce in a City of Sluts – (huffingtonpost.com)
- Dating in New York – Top Ten Rules (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating After Divorce: Why is it so Difficult in your Late Thirties (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: Why you get Ignored (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: The Coward (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating After Divorce: Bad Boys and Psycho Bitches (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: Why a Young Cub is not Always that Attractive to a Cougar (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating Online: Confessions of an Accidental Cougar (julietjeskeblog.com)
- Dating After Divorce: Mr. or Ms. Angry (julietjeskeblog.com)
My website www.julietjeske.com
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/JulietJeske
Add me on Facebook Juliet Jeske Facebook Fan Page